Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango Tree have large Roots.

I haven't posted these from a technical photography point of view. Some members could be interested in what happens when someone inadvertently plants a large tree over an irrigation system or drainage system .
    #1 we call in the heavy duty water / vacuum pump to clear the area. I had tried digging by hand but had second thoughts. If you have never seen this system at work its truly amazing would highly recommend the system for any excavation work where there could be tree roots, pipes or cables. The tree immediately behind the hole to the left of the operator was the offending tree. Its no longer there. I apologise if other members have seen this type of equipment being used before I certainly hadn't and was suitably impressed by the efficiency and speed in which we managed to excavate the hole, clean the root system to enable us to use a chain saw without damaging the saw. and also excavate the hole without doing further damage to the irrigation system. If we had attempted this job with a normal digging implement a bobcat or backhoe, it would have been almost impossible to do without doing further damage to the pipe system

We had the tree removed by the local tree remover, he used his stump grinder to remove the stump and all other tree roots. The whole operation took us around 5 hours. I don't believe we could never have complete this task using conventional digging equipment in the time taken.

For your further information, I work as groundsman at a primary school, but no one has any plans of where the irrigations system lies, and its a mixture of PVC piping and also Asbestos pipes lots of fun. I found yesterday little dig very interesting, and reminded me of a Time Team.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken pipe-4910.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	397922
    We discover the cracked pipe.

Name:	Broken pipe-4919.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	397921

We discover a second pipe under the first, you can see how the roots have grown around both pipe sections and placed pressure on them sufficient to crack a 4inch High pressure TEE.

Name:	Broken pipe-4939.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	397919

Shots of the pump excavating around the first pipe.

Name:	Broken pipe-4912.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	397917

You see how big the hole became and the root mass in there. The water jet and vacuum pump cleared this hole out in less than 90 minutes. I would shudder to think how long it would have taken me to hand dig the hole around all the tree roots.

Name:	Broken pipe-4931.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	921.1 KB
ID:	397916

After some discussion we eventually decided to remover the whole tree, as the lower pipe went directly underneath the main trunk of the tree and also appeared to be under pressure. We thought the first cost is the best cost, pull it all out so at least we are not doing a similar job in the another 2 years time.
    Attached Files
    Canon, 5D MK3 5D Mk11 300mm f2.8, 28-300 f3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, 100 Macro.

Gordon
    Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantor

Interesting read, that non-destructive digging is certainly the way to go in a situation like that. "Could have used that idea a few times over the years"

Cheers;

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
    CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

Looks like they are pretty deadly, much like the willows down here. Good story!

Comment

Interesting. And only five hours is impressive.

Mangrove trees a basically a massive root system with a few leaves on top.

Whoops! I read that as mangrove rather than mango, need a coffee!

I had to dig out a mango tree by hand once a few years back for the same reason...took me three days of very hard yakka and that was just to get the tree out. Still had to chop it up with a chainsaw and cart to tip and call a plumber to repair the carnage.

Never again.
        Last edited by loose cannon; 22-11-2014, 08:32 AM.
        -----------------------------------------------------
        Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Very interesting Gordon and thanks for sharing. It's amazing how far some trees send their roots also.

Comment

Working...
          X