Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the Yongnuo

I had a bit of a play around with the new Yongnuo ring flash on the Tokina 100mm macro today.

#1 I'm not sure that there is enough of this feather in focus to make it work.
    f10.0, 1/200, ISO400.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Yongnuo_0022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	451.9 KB ID:	472088

#2 In Black and White.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Yongnuo_0022 B-W.jpg Views:	0 Size:	412.0 KB ID:	472089

#3 These berries were no larger than a pea. I need to play around with the power setting on the flash to avoid the reflections. Either that or make up some kind of a diffuser.
    f10.0, 1/200. ISO200.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Yongnuo_0044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	463.3 KB ID:	472090

#4 This is probably my favourite for the day.
    f8.0, 1/200, ISO100.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Yongnuo_0061.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.9 KB ID:	472091
    My Gear

Yes #4 got my attention as well. The feather is a bit soft pardon the pun.Keep on having fun.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Which manual are you talking about Hans?

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Ozzie_Traveller commented
      Editing a comment
      G'day GJ ... don't know enough about it to make a definitive response. I have seen people using both ring & 2x units at 45deg
      Each gets reflections and a different set of shadows. Possibles for you ~ try tissue / toilet sheets (because they come in ply thicknesses) to spread the light a bit
      Phil

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      The manual that came with the camera. Must say though I tried it at 5am and it didn't work like it did during the day. I can however work the camera in pitch black so I am a bit further down the competency road. I should have put something on though slippers were definitaly not enough.

A nice set,the reflection is always a problem,I have been thinking about trying to attach some tissue paper in front of the flash to soften the light,the shape has been the problem so far.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Does dropping the power help reduce reflections Kevin? The berries and feather were shot at full power. No reflective surfaces on the feather, so no issue there.

• kevinj
      kevinj commented
      Editing a comment
      You still get reflections,even at low power the light is harsh,a diffuser may help,looks like some experimentation is in order.

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback Kevin, I have a couple of ideas in mind, so I will experiment away

Today I had a quick try at removing the reflections from the berries in image #4 using the healing brush tool in photoshop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yongnuo_0061 (Edit).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	472120
    My Gear

Comment

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      Seemed to work ok. Definitely an improvement. Reminds me of the starship enterprise which reminds me of a picture of a nude lady on facebook saying "Not funny Scotty! Beam up my clothes" lol

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hans, it would be good to get it right "in camera", but at least I know that with a bit of work it can be fixed in PP.
Working...
X