• Show
Clear All

• Dragonfly

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Striped Flutterer Dragonfly - Ryothemis phyllis.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	472149

An old one but it's a favourite Yellow Striped Flutterer Dragonfly - Ryothemis phyllis

Linda
    Attached Files

Lovely image Linda, nice and sharp with great detail in the wings. The only negative comment I would make is that the dragonfly gets a bit lost in the background, but when photographing insects in the wild you have to take what you can get, it is still a great image.
    I am just getting in to macro and would like to know your settings and equipment for this shot, if you don't mind sharing
    My Gear

Comment

• Photogenic
      Photogenic commented
      Editing a comment
      Camera - Canon 7D
      Lens - Tamron 90mm Macro
      Focal Length - 90mm
      Exposure - 1/250 sec; f/4.0; ISO 400; AV; Pattern metering
      Flash - did not fire

I like uncovering insects that are hidden and often shoot them so you can just see them coming out of the background - like this one.
      This one I possibly could have moved to get rid of the distraction from the background but would have lost the angle so then it became one for my what's hiding there series

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback Linda, much appreciated. I understand perfectly where you are coming from re capturing insects emerging from the background.

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      I must agree with John on the background and did a 1 minute look at how it would look a little darker. It would definetly improve the look of the image.
      My selection was too rough too share

Very sharp and detailed Linda - nice job. The consensus seems to be that the background is dominating the image and thus causing the subject to blend into it. A simple solution is to just desaturate the BG using a Hue/Sat layer mask. I hope you don't mind the edit but this is the result I got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36763-E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	472194
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have Photoshop, I can send you the PSD file so you can see the adjustment layers. I use WeTransfer.com to send larger files up to 2GB. It's very simple - just drag and drop and send. No sign-up either.

• Photogenic
      Photogenic commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Isac - I will see what I come up with I haven't heard of wetransfer.com but I assume it's much the same as mailbigfile.com
      I have worked on adjustment layers before so I think I should be OK with it - I do like the brightness I have in my background though - it's why the image appeals to me so much - so I need to try a few things to see which way I prefer.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Linda, I would assume they are the same type of large image tools for transfer.
      With the edit, we all see things differently so this was just my version. If both Kevin and yourself prefer the image as is then that's fine. To me - with my tired old eyes - the yellows in the background and the yellow on the dragonfly wings were much the same colour and I found it a bit difficult to separate them. I will refrain from editing images from now on so if you want me to remove it, it's not a problem.

Very nice,sharp and well lit,the bg doesn`t bother me,all my shots are "as is",I take them as I find them.Taking another look,Isacs rework has made the image look a bit Flat,prefer the original.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

• Photogenic
      Photogenic commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you :-)
Working...
X