• Look me

in the eye!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5rXO0z4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	498804
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Which one, they have so many!! Your image shows that they have some amazing patterns on them. I have never had the inclination to examine fly eyes because when I get to see them close up with a magnifying glass, the eyes have usually suffered major injuries from contact being made with a fly swat. I did however, decide to read up about them and I found this very interesting:

A fly has two compound eyes and each eye is made up between 3,000 and 6,000 simple eyes. These eyes create small pictures that allow the fly to see movements from the left, right, front and above.

Flies do not see in one solid view or focus on a particular object like humans do. Instead each simple eye makes a view and they join together like a mosaic.

Flies also have three simple eyes in between the compound eyes called ocelli. The ocelli act like a compass to let the fly know which way is up. They work by keeping track of sunlight, helping the fly move towards it.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• eaglem
      eaglem commented
      Editing a comment
      You've done your homework

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Always. I love to learn about many new things and your image inspired me to check it out - fascinating info!

I like the contrast between the reddish eyes and the black and white body, eaglem. It's hard to tell at this size but it looks to me like the focus might be just behind the eyes. Where DOF isn't sufficient for the whole insect, I think it's better to have the eyes in focus and let part of the rest of the body go out of focus. All of those eyes also make a wonderful pattern when in focus.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• eaglem
      eaglem commented
      Editing a comment
      Point taken
Working...
X