Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon at 1.24am from my backyard

The wife and daughter and an argument over bull**** but I think it got to me a little and I can't sleep.
    So I got up and the moon was there so I took a few shots with different settings.
    But straight out of the camera the moon had a blue hue to it which I have no idea why this is like it was. Click image for larger version

Name:	RKE00811.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	484682
    F/16, 1/200th of a second, ISO/160
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RKE00825.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	484683
    F/16, 1/320th of a second, ISO /160

Name:	RKE00844.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	484684
    F/16, 1.125th of a second, ISO/100.

G'day Arthur

Beaut pics of the moon and its craters - not sure about the speckles ... maybe one of the others here can offer suggestions

Phil

Comment

• Ralph
      Ralph commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't worry about the speckles as my focus is on the moon itself and not the surroundings with the moon.

Nice and sharp Ralph, with excellent detail. The angle of the light has really brought out the structure of the craters at top left.

I would have used a wider aperture and a faster shutter speed but then these are better than any of my moon shots.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Ralph
      Ralph commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried so many different setting's doing this and these seem to be the best ones that work but I did drop the ISO just to see what it would do.

Would be interesting to compare it to a few more exposures with higher iso and + and - stops just to see the noise levels.

Thought this was a good article..
    https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/und...o-image-noise/

"The majority of noise comes from the sensor or analog-to-digital conversion.
    What Is Image Noise?

Put simply, image noise is undesired fluctuations of color or luminance that obscure detail in the shot you were trying to capture. (You can see examples of various kinds of noise over at Neat Video.)

Image noise arises primarily in underexposed footage as pixels have little light fluctuation to report in the intended image but are being over-amplified by boosted ISO values. Beyond exposure, sensors are also susceptible to a range of other issues that create noise in the final image. The heat of the sensor or other outside interference can also cause noise."
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Ralph
      Ralph commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just trying out what they would look like on these ISO settings as I think I have it at 400 to 600 normally. But it's worth seeing what other things will do over staying on the same thing.

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      So how does it compare noisewise?

Here is one done 24-01-2022

Name:	RKE00451.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	484731

Comment

Did you make any observation? Looks like a bit more exposure and less noise unless you reduced noise in post processing. It is amazing it just hangs there
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Ralph
        Ralph commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have any of those de noise programs. Just the few sliders that I have got on Photoshop cs6. I make adjustment to where I like them then that is it.

Lovely moon shots Ralph, much better than mine. I do like to use the "Looney 11" rule as a good starting point for moon shots.
      f:11 / set shutter speed = to ISO.
      eg: f:11, Shutter 1/400th, ISO 400. If hand held, set shutter speed => than the focal length of the lens. eg: Lens at 500mm, f:11, 1/500th or faster, ISO to match the shutter speed.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Ralph
        Ralph commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of what I have tries with this camera and I am still quite new to it even though I have only used Sony is that at f16 is where I get the better results with it. And quite a bit does depend on how bright the moon is on the night to as I did find out one night.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ralph. The Looney 11 rule is only a guide and it's a good starting point for newbies. The best settings are the ones that work for you.

came out well I think, a less than full moon comes out way better than the full one. all to do with angle of the light etc. well done
      Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• Ralph
        Ralph commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told the same thing and when I was really into taking shot of the moon I thought yer right. Then over time as I took shot I came to past that this was the truth. And I really don't like to take full moon shots these days as there is far less details in it over any other parts of the moon shots.
    Working...
    X