Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milky way pano out the back here.

this is something I wanted to get for a while but we get dark skies here so you get more opportunities.
    a 7 shot pano with camera vertical on the tripod. 7 x 15second exposures @f2.8 17mm iso 6400. stitched with ptgui. the orange stuff could be light from batemans bay or moruya.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	night pano test 1a Panorama 1200.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	490029 thanks for fixing the posting of this image. 1200 wide now posts for me. have removed the postage stamp. at least in preview 1200 looks a tad wide though but can be scrolled. thanks again

Last edited by avkomp; 04-09-2022, 02:43 PM.
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

I have been playing around trying to get this image to post full size without much luck, Would you mind sending me the original image avkomp
    My Gear

Comment

Everything seems to be posting okay now avkomp. Try reposting with the image sized to 1200 on the longest side and under 200K
      My Gear

Comment

thanks for sorting it. will be resizing presently. in terms of resolution, the 1000 pixel image is 696kb. in light of the 200k limit, this may be the issue. but having said that, the galahs I posted the other day were 1000 pixels wide but 360kb. checking on the robins I posted the other day too, both over 300kb but 1000 pixels.

Comment

alrighty. that learned it! up and running now. thanks again

Comment

• Grumpy John
            Grumpy John commented
            Editing a comment
            All good Stephen, glad that it's sorted for you.

That is a stunning image Stephen.
          My Gear

Comment

Spectacular image Stephen, and the foreground tree silhouettes work well.
            Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Thanks folks that tree gets used in lots of pix. I think you need foreground interest in this sort of thing .

Comment

The pic was going to be called the tree of knowledge or maybe power with the glow behind it. Cold down here but gives great skies.

Comment

This is also something I have wanted to have a go at and I will have to look it up on just how as I just have ordered a remote control with the money I got for Fathers Day.
                  So I think this is an important part to get this sort of thing going.
                  So it is needless to say if I like it or not as I really do like this .

Comment

G'day Stephen

I think that everyone above has said it all ...... it's a damn fine shot and 10/10 from me

Phil

Comment

Easy enough to do also. Need dark winter skies with views of the horizon . Some foreground interest, camera, lens and tripod. I used an L plate on the camera so I could shoot in portrait mode with lens axis in centre of rotation. I have a pano rail too that I can avoid parallax. Less of an issue with this pic. I did ones a while back without the L plate. It worked OK and fun to do also but better this time.
                      still time to go out and take some decent milky way pix. Panos or otherwise.
                      I suggest otherwise at first though. You get instant gratification on the pack of the camera.
                      No remote release, no problem. Use self timer.
                      Only got chasing will be focus and exposure.
                      focusing I usually use hyperbola range off a table or an app. Tried live view on a bright star zoomed up and manually focussed to a dot. Usually not at infinity though.
                      exposure will depend on focal length used.​​
                      everything rotates around the celestial pole and the more lens you use, the higher the apparent motion you see in camera.
                      there are some guidelines as to maximum exposures to use for a given focal length such as 500 rule.
                      500 divided by focal length as max recommended.
                      so if using say a 50 mm lens, maximum recommended is 500 divided by 50 or 10 seconds.
                      personally I use less than that.
                      Turn up iso as high as you can within noise limits and in business.
                      point camera to the sky and see what you get
                      No good? Add or subtract exposure as required.
                      move camera to get composition you like.
                      You won't really be able to use viewfinder to do that unless ambient light around.
                      unlike birds or animals, it is gonna sit there til you get it right.
                      in time you get a feel for starting settings too.
                      Think that covers basic settings

Comment

When creating his "Starry Night" painting, Vincent van Gogh would have saved hours/days if he had a digital camera.
                        Don McClean would have agreed too.
                        I have one of these which I have yet to put through its paces.
                        PANOSAURUS 2
                        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

I have a ball head for this sort of thing. The pano rail gets rid of paralax on some stuff. I not able to do multi row pants. No particular desire to either

Comment

Working...
                          X