Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonights lunar eclipse as it unfolded

my take on the eclipse. just a quick and dirty version right now, might have to process it up a tad, but I just had to see how it turned out before bed.........
    probably a lighter sky would have helped but then the shadows looked out of place like the dogs proverbial. I did get a pic of the foreground before it got too dark. may have to blend it in a bit I think
    Click image for larger version

Name:	composite1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	494658
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

G'day Stephen

A superb result - way better than mine
    Well done

Phil

Comment

Excellent sequence Stephen and very well done. Be sure to show us the final version.

I've considered trying for one of these but I have too many obstructions and it just seems too hard. I forgot all about the eclipse and didn't see most of this.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Great image Stephen, were the shots equally spaced apart time-wise?
        My Gear

Comment

Were going to be, but some variations happened.
          too lazy to set timer or intervalometer

Comment

• Grumpy John
            Grumpy John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that Stephen. How long did the whole sequence take?

think moon came up over the low hills at 1955. gave a few mins to see whole orb though
          as presented around 2220.
          I have later shots too as it came out the other side but if i have everything back to full moon again, it would have dots on the image instead of the moon. the moon was quite high in the sky by then so no ground references. not that you can see too much ground in this pic anyhow.
          I took some pix of totality and stuff with the 600f4 as well. had 2 bodies working on this event.
          the best spot for me was down a bit from the house, but the lamb knocked my tripod over before I mounted the camera, so clearly she was gonna mess it up if I went there, so shot from under the verandah here, which is behind the electric fence

Comment

Lovely work Stephen. It will be good to see your edit.
            I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
            "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

been getting hammered all day today, but finally got to look at this.
              decided to lift the exposure on the totality pix to bring our the blood moon more.
              also lifted the foreground a little as well. looked way too artificial if it was too bright there.
              will get a chance to see what else I can do with it. I got pix of the blood moon alone too, but everyone got those so hadnt worried any further Click image for larger version

Name:	composite 1 reworked 1500.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	494687

Comment

The moon looks really good Stephen, with the better colour in the eclipsed moon. I'm not so sure about the foreground; perhaps blending an earlier image of the foreground (suitably darkened if necessary) might work better. The is also a faint blue oval in the sky, presumably a side effect of lifting the exposure.
                Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• avkomp
                  avkomp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dunno, I only lifted exposure on the moons, there was some blue in the sky earlier though, maybe some left over?
                  I had taken a series of pix of the foreground pre eclipse and in varying amounts of light with the intention of blending some foreground in.
                  when it came time to do it, nothing looked quite right. the sky was very black here, as you might expect really.
                  but adding foreground, even subtly looks just not right and I backed it way back.
                  I did try lifting foreground a bit or toning one of my other shots also, again it just didnt float my boat.
                  in the end I got most kicks just having an eclipse sequence, which actually worked fairly well, instead of my originally planned stuff.
                  birds are easier............

Better than the first Stephen. When I had a play (as I do a lot), I did like that blue sky and foreground with the bush and flora and showing the horizon.
                I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
                X