Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new backup camera.

I love road images and expect to shoot hundreds on my upcoming trip, but obviously many of them would be middle of the day snaps so have been looking at cheap P&S cameras to shoot jpegs on full auto but still deliver reasonably good IQ.

Enter the Apple Iphone6. Camera with phone attached plus other nifty stuff.

Colour me impressed!

Here are a few snaps from around Chinatown Broome (aka CBD), just got the phone today.

Few tech errors here and there with converging verticals and the like but that's my fault not the cameras. Couple have had very minor pp but mostly SOOC really.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	404656
    Camera
    iPhone 6

Focal Length
    4.15mm

Aperture
    f/2.2

Exposure
    1/2475s

ISO

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	404657
    Camera
    iPhone 6

Focal Length
    4.15mm

Aperture
    f/2.2

Exposure
    1/2083s

ISO

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	404658
    Camera
    iPhone 6

Focal Length
    4.15mm

Aperture
    f/2.2

Exposure
    1/1464s

ISO

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	404659
    Camera
    iPhone 6

Focal Length
    4.15mm

Aperture
    f/2.2

Exposure
    1/2326s

ISO

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	404660
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Yes! - welcome to the club - I hope you love it as much as I love my 5c

Nice pics (and all should be geo tagged too - but I can't see that info, so maybe you have disabled it for sharing?)

The pano function is amazing as well

Now you just need a selfie stick and your conversion will be complete

Have fun
    Last edited by Alan; 23-02-2015, 07:59 PM.
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

OMG, first Alan and now Mick. What is the world coming to.

Although I do agree that the quality of the images from the iPhone are amazing, if not annoyingly good, as Elizabeth has often demonstrated with her iPhone.

Have to go. Someone is ringing me on my Samsung flip phone with the 3.2 mp camera. Pretty cool.
      Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Yeah, love the pano! Fired of a couple of quickies just to get a feel. Impressive.

Selfie stick! There are limits to my modernization drive, many many lines in the sand to be crossed before a selfie stick is on the horizon

Heck,I just fitted a radio! (Or media device I think they are called)
        Last edited by loose cannon; 23-02-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

welcome to the 21 century and it is great too see Broome has not change much since my visit 15 odd years ago......nearly time for another too
          just have to get yourself a large mirco sd card card for it so it can store all those images
          cheers
          Rod
          Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by sejac View Post
            OMG, first Alan and now Mick. What is the world coming to.

Although I do agree that the quality of the images from the iPhone are amazing, if not annoyingly good, as Elizabeth has often demonstrated with her iPhone.

Have to go. Someone is ringing me on my Samsung flip phone with the 3.2 mp camera. Pretty cool.
            Flip phones are so last millenium.

Originally posted by wacko-ocker View Post
            welcome to the 21 century and it is great too see Broome has not change much since my visit 15 odd years ago......nearly time for another too
            just have to get yourself a large mirco sd card card for it so it can store all those images
            Doesn't accept cards wacko. But it's 16g and that'll do me.

Comment

• wacko-ocker
              wacko-ocker commented
              Editing a comment
              yep the down fall of iphone's...... make sure your have a cover for it they are not like your canon, don't like rough handling

• loose cannon
              loose cannon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I bought a 'lifeproof' cover for it.

• Alan
              Alan commented
              Editing a comment
              Be frugal about putting music on it. I ran out of Memory very quickly and found my picture taking capabilities rather limited until I started deleting tracks again. Use a separate device/stick for music if you are contemplating taking your blues collection. But you will have your 'radio' which may have a usb input?

You can set up personal web radio stations with 'Pandora', for example. Mobile reception will limit access to it of course.

OMG Mick, I would never have imagined you with an iPhone. My husband's idea of a smart phone is one that can take/receive calls and texts and thought he was going to throw mine out the window when trying to answer it while I was driving.

I'm sure you'll get some great results from it. I've seen some abysmal results from non-photographers.

Comment

Way to go Mick!..."One small step for Man..." or is it "Luxury..pure luxury...!? Don't think the iPhone would fit in my 'Small shoebox in middle of the road' (Thanks Monty)

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
              CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
                OMG Mick, I would never have imagined you with an iPhone. My husband's idea of a smart phone is one that can take/receive calls and texts and thought he was going to throw mine out the window when trying to answer it while I was driving.

I'm sure you'll get some great results from it. I've seen some abysmal results from non-photographers.
                I never imagined me with an iPhone ...now I'm in love with it and it's only been a day.

I've sent three texts already, I'm on to it!

Don't tell anyone about the gopro I've mounted on the roof rack. Need a new computer to run the videos though...*sigh*

Originally posted by Gaz View Post
                Way to go Mick!..."One small step for Man..." or is it "Luxury..pure luxury...!? Don't think the iPhone would fit in my 'Small shoebox in middle of the road' (Thanks Monty)

Cheers Gaz.

As I said to a friend of mine yesterday when he pulled his iPhone5 from his pocket..."That's not a phone, THIS is a phone..."

Comment

Chucking out the 7D Mick?
                  I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                  "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

No way!

Just want a camera to shoot snaps along the way Isac. Mornings/afternoon will be for tripod landscape/birds bushwalking and stuff and then when travelling the 7D will be armed with the 1/400 and parked on the passenger seat.

Just want a camera I can quickly point and shoot plus if anything goes wrong with the 7D I can still salvage something from the trip. Need a phone to call for permission to access some areas so the iPhone seemed a good choice.

In a perfect world I'd have a 6D and maybe a nice Zeiss lens or two as well. (or sony A7 or Fuji RX1 or...)

Bought a cheap gopro because I want to record my travels down some of the tracks. That'll be mainly for reminiscing when I'm back home planning my 2016 trip Been watching a few youtubes of gopro stuff as people cross the Simpson Desert and find them almost mesmerizing at times.

Can watch that stuff for hours
                    Last edited by loose cannon; 24-02-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

image quality my daughter gets with her i6 and how easy they are to use blows me away. I have an i5 on the desk atm; some day I work out how to turn it on . Bit like mac air (??) I never use
                      Gopro would be great also Mike. Mount it underneath when you get onto some good corrugations

Comment

Image quality is great, they look a bit soft on the forum but viewed at home they are superb. Detail in clouds with no blown highlights on a bright sunny day, how come I can't do that with my DSLR

The gopro was an impulse buy I couldn't afford but again, IQ is superb and I'm really looking forward to using it. Gunna milk this trip for all it's worth.

Not sure about mounting it underneath on corrugations. Don't want to have to turn around and go look for what's left of it after it falls off.

One video I viewed had it mounted on the roof rack for about 80% of the time then short segments with it mounted on RHS mirror, then on top of camper trailer facing the rear, then through the windscreen etc. Just enough to break up the monotony and keep the video interesting. Might get a bit noisy on the corrugations!

Comment

Nice shots Mick. I like the idea of a phone but my hands shake that much I need 3 points of contact (Eye and 2 hands)
                          If you wish to Learn first learn silence.
                          Cheers Pete.
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/128884981@N07/

Comment

• wacko-ocker
                            wacko-ocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            hey pete
                            have you considered a gopro type device, you can set timer so you only have to point plus you can use an externder stick (like a monopod) to get closer to subjects and take self'ies

• Pete
                            Pete commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Got one and all the bits that go with it, also a lyto, Lumix S20, Pentax X-5, Canon 1100D,Canon 1000(film) etc etc etc. The last three because of the view finder are the two I like otherwise a tripod. Then all are good accept the Lytro.
                        Working...
                        X