Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light tent experiment

Set the light tent up today and promptly blew two halogens. Had to use 2 macro ring lights and a bat-wing torch from Bunnings. What are your thoughts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowery Leaves.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	422352 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_1_cr.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	422353 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowery leaves 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	422354
    If you wish to Learn first learn silence.
    Cheers Pete.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/128884981@N07/

Not bad Pete. I would have liked to see more of the vase in focus in #3.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
      Not bad Pete. I would have liked to see more of the vase in focus in #3.
      I agree Isac, I thought I was being clever with sellective. I wasn't clever. But never mind. This is why I post to get valuable and worthwhile critique.

A little more about me mate. Photography is not like riding a bike. I used to get a reasonable income or supliment 35-40 years ago. Before the advent of Digital. Never processed my my own but that didn't spoil things.

I put the Camera's down and didn't pick them up until 3-4 years ago only to find out that I was a complete beginner again My memory is crap for the auto reflexes I developed years ago.. I really need help learning so that's why I'm here. Thanks for all the help and critique to date.

Cheers Pete.

Cheers Pete.

Comment

Ah we aren't as young as we used to be! I'm happy that what you've said is exactly what our forum is about. Having a bit of fun, learning from newbies and pros and generally doing what we're all passionate about, taking photos. I don't think I've lost all of my faculties YET but, I do love to help out - I'm not the best photographer in the world, but I am constantly learning. I've had cameras for as long as I can remember and can't see myself without one. I love using Photoshop to experiment with the power that it offers. I started with version 4 for a short time and then 5 in the late 90's and I've been hooked ever since. We all value your input here Pete, so stick around, learn heaps and keep on keeping on! Cheers.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
          Ah we aren't as young as we used to be! I'm happy that what you've said is exactly what our forum is about. Having a bit of fun, learning from newbies and pros and generally doing what we're all passionate about, taking photos. I don't think I've lost all of my faculties YET but, I do love to help out - I'm not the best photographer in the world, but I am constantly learning. I've had cameras for as long as I can remember and can't see myself without one. I love using Photoshop to experiment with the power that it offers. I started with version 4 for a short time and then 5 in the late 90's and I've been hooked ever since. We all value your input here Pete, so stick around, learn heaps and keep on keeping on! Cheers.
          Cheers Isac Thank you.

Pete
          Cheers Pete.

Comment

Pete, I reckon your light tent has real potential. I imagine it gives a degree of control over what you are photographing. The backgrounds for example, and the light source. The light quality, it appears to me, is one area that is often neglected in flower/macro type photography, which is a pity.

And it does not have to be a fancy light set up. I have used some very sad looking lamps and things. But when you can use a slow shutter speed (you should always use a tri-pod anyway) the brightness of the light becomes less important.

Don't forget to post your future experiments here.
            Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sejac View Post
              Pete, I reckon your light tent has real potential. I imagine it gives a degree of control over what you are photographing. The backgrounds for example, and the light source. The light quality, it appears to me, is one area that is often neglected in flower/macro type photography, which is a pity.

And it does not have to be a fancy light set up. I have used some very sad looking lamps and things. But when you can use a slow shutter speed (you should always use a tri-pod anyway) the brightness of the light becomes less important.

Don't forget to post your future experiments here.
              Thanks Charles I will. I do have a cubic meter light tent/Box thingy but no room to use it so I'm using the small light Tent/Box I do have new specialized Cree lights coming that give daylight luminescence see how that goes. Cheers

Pete
              Cheers Pete.

Comment

Looks pretty good Pete. Only thing I can pick is there are are few highlights that could be reduced by a bit more diffusion, but thats being picky so take it with a grain of salt.
                I have recently changed my lights over to leds, the light is a bit harder to handle than what I used to get with my old tungsten lights, but they run so much cooler, not melting my diffusers like before.
                Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Pete
                  Pete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it all Brad I think we all suffer the same thing. I have some cloth gauze diffuses ready for the harsh Cree Light.

I actually like the sharper highlights to me they emphasize the 3D shape of the subjects. That's Me though. I just don't want to spoil anything with it catching my personal reelection.

G'day Pete

I note from the EXIF data that you're shooting with a 100mm f2,8 lens ... presumably the Canon 100mm Macro that is getting very good reviews in the press

May I suggest you continue these experiments with a tiny change to your technique
                Quite obviously, you're in close-up mode with the macro lens, which says to me that you are also on a tripod [well the camera certainly is !!! ]

May I invite you to leave the camera in "A" Aperture mode and shoot 4 images
                #1 at f2,8 ... #2 at f5,6 ... #3 at f11 & #4 at f22 [i.e. each image is 2-stops down from its mate

Looking at these 4 comparisons will give you a much better idea of which aperture will give you however much depth of field you want for a particular subject
                Sometimes, you might not want much ... other times you might want heaps, and this little bit of fun might make a difference

Hope this helps
                Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
                  G'day Pete

I note from the EXIF data that you're shooting with a 100mm f2,8 lens ... presumably the Canon 100mm Macro that is getting very good reviews in the press

May I suggest you continue these experiments with a tiny change to your technique
                  Quite obviously, you're in close-up mode with the macro lens, which says to me that you are also on a tripod [well the camera certainly is !!! ]

May I invite you to leave the camera in "A" Aperture mode and shoot 4 images
                  #1 at f2,8 ... #2 at f5,6 ... #3 at f11 & #4 at f22 [i.e. each image is 2-stops down from its mate

Looking at these 4 comparisons will give you a much better idea of which aperture will give you however much depth of field you want for a particular subject
                  Sometimes, you might not want much ... other times you might want heaps, and this little bit of fun might make a difference

Hope this helps
                  Phil
                  Thanks Phil I have just printed you directions and will give it a go 2morrow afternoon after work. Hopefully post the results later. Cheers and thanks again Pete.
                  Cheers Pete.

Comment

Working...
                  X