Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictorial Record

Of the Tasmanian Arboretum Magnolia Collection.

Was recently asked if I would make a record of the varied species as they came into flower. Unfortunately this year, that has coincided with a patch of inclement weather with lots of wind and rain which has adversely affected the quality of the blooms.

However here is a selection from some of the trees to date:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lilliflora X r.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	445058

Name:	campbellii Xr.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	445056

Name:	kobus r.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	445059

Name:	denudata r.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	445057

More Magnolias:

Name:	soulangeana r.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	445062

Name:	star wars r.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	445063

Name:	salicifolia r.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	445061

Name:	X loebneri 2 r.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	445064

Comment

Well done Greg. Very good photos - colours are splendid. In my yard we only have one variety - Little Gem which is a dwarf cultivar. Originally developed in 1952 by Steed's Nursery in North Carolina (after I was born!)
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Great record of professional quality. The city of Lithgow uses Magnolia trees as street planting. A treat to see them each year.
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

Thank you both, I still have quite a few more to get and some will have to wait until next year as the weather got the best of them before I had a chance. The large North American species I suspect will be next.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisC333
            Beautiful pictures Greg. They should be very pleased with those. How are you collecting them? Will they end up on a public website for the Arboretum, or perhaps on a site of your own? At various times I have tried to make some sort of record of the wildflowers we have on our block but I've not managed to put them into any sort of organised shape. Plus I need to lift my game when it comes to the image quality. And of course I don't know what most of them are called anyway... Cheers, Chris
            Most of them were collected before I had any involvement with the Arboretum and I’m just a volunteer maintenance guy. Typically they source seed from all around the world to build specific collections from a wide variety of regions. Some work, some don’ t. They also work closely with the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hobart and share knowledge and specimens from them. I doubt that my records will end up on line, (that might make the most sense), but I suspect once I have examples of all of the collection, they might produce a photo book to use as reference on site.

Comment

Working...
            X