No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camera - 7 Pics

Hi,

K1W1 mentioned that Dick Smith had Nikon Coolpix S31 waterproof cameras on sale for $98, and since I'd drowned my previous waterproof, I thought I might give these, almost 'toy' cameras, a try. I only wanted it for some waves and in the pool in Summer.

3x zoom and no control over Shutter Speed/Aperture, ISO or White Balance. JPEG only. Plus a few gimmicks to appeal to kids. The lack of options is actually quite liberating as you only have to concentrate on the framing. I tried a few underwater shots in rock pools and some small waves, but I think I need to work on my technique further. Shutter lag makes action shots a bit hit and miss. (It doesn't like sand btw - oops)

Reviews - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...c=rss&attr=all

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digit...on-coolpix-s31

#2 Jeanie

#3 Tinkerbell

#5 Macro Mode

#6 Macro Mode - (handles red pretty well, even with 'Vivid' selected)

Last edited by Alan; 18-07-2013, 07:39 PM.
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

You would have needed a $2000 camera for those pics 10 years ago and you wouldn't have dared take it near the water..
    Now you have me thinking I should have taken my own advice. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post
      You would have needed a $2000 camera for those pics 10 years ago and you wouldn't have dared take it near the water..
      Now you have me thinking I should have taken my own advice. :-)
      yeah; and it's worry for those who still have BIG camera door stops

interesting set of images Alan; that dog always gives me a smile

I guess you got the pink one; just so no bloke would steal it

Comment

Pink and blue were the only options Ian - I was hoping I wouldn't have to walk along the beach with three toy poodles and a pink toy camera.

I managed to get a bright blue one, my photo credentials are still intact (more or less).

(but I probably would have still bought a pink one - I hope I'm old enough to not be too concerned about the colour/brand of my camera)...
        Last edited by Alan; 18-07-2013, 04:24 PM.
        Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by caralan View Post
          I was hoping I wouldn't have to walk along the beach with three toy poodles and a pink toy camera.
          Maybe Minty and I should buy matching pink ones for when we go for walks around the gardens.

Comment

Pink and blue were the only options Ian - I was hoping I wouldn't have to walk along the beach with three toy poodles and a pink toy camera.

I managed to get a bright blue one... my photo credentials are still intact (more or less)
            but it never was

I think I might bookmark this thread for the "what camera"/"going o/seas"/"it's not the gear you use........."/do I need a FF?'' types of threads.

Put a few more photos in later and us experienced oldies can really sockittoem

Comment

Hooray, I've got a convert!

That's what I use when I travel. Lumix FT1 waterproof, shock proof and fits in my pocket.

This is me, camera in hand but unfortunately that's not my car!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point and shoot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	322029

Comment

I converted ages ago when I went to Thailand with a little Lumix DMC-FX01. Made my travels so much easier and I learnt, like I presume you did, how to get the most out of what I had in hand.

Cheers
                Last edited by Alan; 18-07-2013, 05:53 PM.
                Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
                  Put a few more photos in later
                  Ok, but only just because you seem to be coming fond of poodles Ian

Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

I think you could sell any camera with your images. Little miss ...what'shername, Maggie ? in that second one ..and like Ian, she always makes me smile.

I wouldn't mind one for the pool come summer time... will think about this one. My currently p&s seems to be having hissy fits or actually not working after I dropped it ..eek. or it could well be the battery is stuffed.
                    Anna
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                    My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

G'day Alan

What an amazing set of images from such a 'simple' camera - well done on your part too

Phil

Comment

Proof that it's the photographer not the camera that takes the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
                          I think you could sell any camera with your images. Little miss ...what'shername, Maggie ? in that second one ..and like Ian, she always makes me smile.

I wouldn't mind one for the pool come summer time... will think about this one. My currently p&s seems to be having hissy fits or actually not working after I dropped it ..eek. or it could well be the battery is stuffed.
                          Thanks. It's 'Jeanie' Anna - yes a real active character

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
                          G'day Alan

What an amazing set of images from such a 'simple' camera - well done on your part too

Phil
                          Thanks Phil

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
                          Proof that it's the photographer not the camera that takes the photos.
                          Too kind Glenda. It's useless for birds though - (I did try)

Cheers
                          Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks. It's 'Jeanie' Anna - yes a real active character

Thanks Phil

Too kind Glenda. It's useless for birds though - (I did try)

Cheers
                            Oh bugger, I knew it didn't seem quite right.

BTW. Either I am wrong that P Plates is called Gabby or you are wrong in calling her Glenda. lol I believe I am correct.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                            Anna
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                            My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Working...
                            X