Playing with the Yongnuo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the Yongnuo

I've started this topic to document my endeavours to reduce the reflections I get when using my Yongnuo ring flash to photograph hard surfaces. I have managed to obtain some diffuser material used in skylights and using two different sized hole saws I made some rings which I can cut to fit over the lenses on the flash unit. I also have a piece of frosted acrylic and a home made diffuser

kevinj, this may be of interest to you.

#1 The skylight material.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Skylight.jpg Views:	1 Size:	446.7 KB ID:	472253

#2 The frosted acrylic.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Frosted.jpg Views:	1 Size:	403.2 KB ID:	472254

#3 The home made diffuser.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Home Made.jpg Views:	1 Size:	389.0 KB ID:	472255

I made the diffuser from sandwiching a piece of packing foam between 2 pieces of a cut up opaque document holder.

#4 The foam
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Foam.jpg Views:	1 Size:	509.9 KB ID:	472256

#5 The document holder.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Plastic.jpg Views:	1 Size:	271.1 KB ID:	472257

#6 I will cut the diffusers to fit over the white lenses. I will use double sided tape to secure the diffusers to the lenses.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Flash Head.jpg Views:	2 Size:	194.4 KB ID:	472258
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 12-06-2020, 09:44 AM.
    My Gear

The first test shots without any diffuser fitted. Four images using the same settings, except for different metering settings.
    All images are virtually SOOC except for lens correction and setting white balance to Flash, this was done in ACR. They were resized using save for web in CC2020. No cropping or any other PP.

f8.0, 1/200, ISO 100. Flash unit set to TTL.

#1 Metering Mode: Evaluative.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	472260

#2 Metering Mode: Partial.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.6 KB ID:	472261

#3 Metering Mode: Spot.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	472262

#4 Metering Mode: Centreweighted-Average.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.0 KB ID:	472263
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 12-06-2020, 02:49 PM.
    My Gear

Comment

Do youhave an observation? I don't see a lot of difference. have I missed something?
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding is that the camera does the metering and if you have a compatible TTL flash the flash will adjust its' power to give a correct exposure. I may be wrong, perhaps Isac, or kevinj could join the conversation.
        Last edited by Grumpy John; 12-06-2020, 02:48 PM.

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Some reading for you @HansE
        https://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/te...-it-work-67370

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood. Interesting how much technology has gone into the simple flash.

Continuing on with my diffuser experiment I decided against using the berries as the subject matter. As the berries aged their reflective properties changed and as such, the results would not be accurate. For this reason I chose glass marbles, very reflective surface and not subject to change.

As with the berries these images are basically SOOC with the only adjustments made being lens correction and white balance set to Flash. Once again they were resized in CC2020 using Save For Web.

f8.0, 1/200, ISO 100. Flash unit set to TTL. Metering Mode: Evaluative.

#1 Reference image, no diffusion.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.3 KB ID:	472322

#2 Using one of the diffusers made from skylight diffuser.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	310.3 KB ID:	472323

#3 Using the frosted diffuser material.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.0 KB ID:	472324

#4 Using the home made diffuser.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0L9A0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	301.7 KB ID:	472325

For me there is very little difference between any of the images. #4 with the home made diffuser is a tad under exposed most likely because of makeup of the diffuser, but the reflections are just as prominent.

#5 A composite of all the images.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Combined.jpg Views:	0 Size:	390.8 KB ID:	472326

Conclusion: It is my belief that the diffusers are not working because they are too close to the light source. It would not be practical to move the diffuser further away from the ring flash as that would make it very difficult to get up close for macro shots, which is what the ring flash is intended for. Looks like I'll have to practice up on my photoshop skills .
      My Gear

Comment

Tip for all who might use it:
        Select the Spot Healing Brush Tool (J)
        Use settings: Normal OR Replace / Type: Content Aware / Check Sample All Layers
        Make a new layer above your subject layer. This will be used for the healing brush to work on so it can be adjusted if needed.
        Adjust the brush tool diameter (using the Right and Left bracket keys), to make the circle cover the item to be removed.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Healing_Brush_A.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	472342
        With the new layer selected, and the circle around the part you want removed, click and it will be replaced with the surrounding pixels.

Name:	Healing_Brush_B.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	472344
        It will even try to find contrasting lines or in this case, the curve.

Name:	Healing_Brush_2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	472343
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
        X