Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	451105

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pheonix .jpg
Views:	140
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	451106

G'day Greg

Nicely done - just enough sharpness & blur where needed and a bit of air under the old Ford's rear wheel
    Always hard to get really good car racing pics when the officials herd you / us away from the action for 'safety' reasons

Phil

Comment

1 and 2 for me based on nothing more than those cars. Stunning.
      Sony A7rii
      https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• seaslug
        seaslug commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Toddy, said to be the greatest Mobile Motor Show in the country!

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
      G'day Greg

Nicely done - just enough sharpness & blur where needed and a bit of air under the old Ford's rear wheel
      Always hard to get really good car racing pics when the officials herd you / us away from the action for 'safety' reasons

Phil
      Thanks Phil, it's a bit ironic that the 'official photographer' is allowed to be in what is probably the most hazardous position in the stage (note shots #1 and #4). On the outside of a downhill switchback corner with the only cover being a fern and a high voltage power pole. (If brought down would bring 20000 volts around their ears)!

I'll put up another couple of shots later to show just how close he came to wearing an out of control car.

Comment

In motor racing the best vantage point is often the most dangerous.

Comment

• seaslug
          seaslug commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously but the rules need to protect everybody, I'm assuming the guy has family at home and a great shot would not be much compensation if he was hit.
          (I was involved in Club events years ago as a steward and competitor).

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
        Thanks Phil, it's a bit ironic that the 'official photographer' is allowed to be in what is probably the most hazardous position in the stage (note shots #1 and #4).
        And this always raises intersting questions.
        The road is closed - fine you can't be on the roadway.
        If you are standing on private property or in an area that is public say a reserve or park that is not part of the road I suspect that legally the event organisers can do nothing about it, Sure petty volunteer officials with fluros vests clipboards two way radios and an inflated ego will huff and puff and threaten but I suspect that is all they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post

And this always raises intersting questions.
          The road is closed - fine you can't be on the roadway.
          If you are standing on private property or in an area that is public say a reserve or park that is not part of the road I suspect that legally the event organisers can do nothing about it, Sure petty volunteer officials with fluros vests clipboards two way radios and an inflated ego will huff and puff and threaten but I suspect that is all they can do.
          You may be be right, but the final clearance before the cars are let on the stage is done by the police and I guess they could hold up competition and downgrade it to touring if they thought there were safety issues. The other officials are volunteers and couldn't put much pressure on anyway.

In this instance the TV guys were on the inside of the corner and that would have given the best angles for photos (and crashes). That's where I would have gone too had I been there early enough!

Comment

Hypothetically of course.
            Would the Police have the power to order me out of my own front yard if that was where I was sitting? I'd be surprised. They would probably try to reason with me but should I insist on not moving then I guess potentially I could screw the whole event up. I not talking about this event specifically just events of this nature in general.

FWIW we had a spectator killed at a motorcycle event I was involved in running in the mid 1970s. The spectator was on the inside of the corner (think roughly where that post box or whatever is in post 1) and as the Police Inspector at the event said himself they were probably in the safest spot on the whole track. These things happen.
            Last edited by K1W1; 26-04-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Hypothetically of course.
              Would the Police have the power to order me out of my own front yard if that was where I was sitting? I'd be surprised. They would probably try to reason with me but should I insist on not moving then I guess potentially I could screw the whole event up. I not talking about this event specifically just events of this nature in general.

No they couldn't make you move but they may well downgrade that stage to 'touring' with all cars restricted to speed limits. It wouldn't screw the event as there are something like 40 competitive stages over 5 days and there's usually a few downgraded for one reason or another.

Don't think you would win a popularity contest after though!

Oh yes you can get hit spectating in motor sport, there's elements of danger in whatever you do.

Comment

My next door neighbour spent $30k on a new engine for the event and blew two turbos in the first three days. He was not happy when he got home late last week.

Comment

• seaslug
                  seaslug commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No I wouldn’t be either.
              Working...
              X