Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey Field.....................

................... is a large sporting complex not far from where I live. It has playing fields for AFL/VFL, rugby, cricket, netball, tennis, athletics track and a criterion track.
    Today, being the first Saturday for weeks when it didn't look like raining I took the Siggy 150-600 over there to see what I could capture.

AFL. While these pictures aren't brilliant examples of sports photography, I'm very happy with the sharpness of the images.
    Any CC or suggestions re cropping is more than welcome.

#1 And he's off.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AFL 001 (crop).jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.6 KB ID:	465806

#2 Outnumbered 3 to 1.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AFL 003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	231.5 KB ID:	465807

Click image for larger version  Name:	AFL 018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.9 KB ID:	465808

Click image for larger version  Name:	AFL 047.jpg Views:	1 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	465809

Netball.
    The 150-600 was way too long for the netball court, I could have used the 70-200 easily.
    Once again, not great sports images, but happy with the sharpness.

#5 I missed everything, the ball, the players feet and half a hand.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Netball 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.6 KB ID:	465810

#6 I really like the expression on the blue/yellow GA. Not sure if she's waiting to catch the ball, or has just thrown it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Netball 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	202.8 KB ID:	465811

Click image for larger version  Name:	Netball 14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	465812

#8 She shoots, she scores (from memory).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Netball 19.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.2 KB ID:	465813
    My Gear

All look sharp John. Most are a bit busy. Too many subjects. Maybe opening up the aperture would isolate the focus on the intended subject a bit more.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Toddy, the images are not good examples of sports shots, I have a lot to learn. Loving the 150-600 though.

Agree with Todd, just a wider aperture to focus on the main players. The overall sharpness is very good. What are the settings?
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
      Agree with Todd, just a wider aperture to focus on the main players. The overall sharpness is very good. What are the settings?
      The strategy for the day was to concentrate on the action and not to be fiddling with camera settings. My opinion, right or wrong, of sport photography is that you only get one chance at the winning shot. If you spend all your time looking and analysing the image you just took, you're probably going to miss something better.

With that in mind I set the camera as follows:
      Camera Model Canon EOS 7D Mark II
      Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
      Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1250
      Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
      Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
      Exposure Compensation 0
      ISO Speed Varied
      Auto ISO Speed ON
      Lens Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
      Focal Length Varied
      Image Quality RAW
      Flash Off
      FE lock OFF
      White Balance Mode Auto
      AF Mode AI Servo AF
      AF Configuration Tool Case 2
      Tracking sensitivity -1
      Accel./decel. tracking 0
      AF point auto switching 0
      AF area select mode Zone AF
      AF Microadjustment 0
      Color Space sRGB
      Drive Mode High-speed continuous shooting

In hindsight I probably should have gone for a wide open shutter (f5.6), this may, or may not have blurred the background enough to make the subject stand out a bit more.
      I'm still learning and enjoying it. Gotta love digital, instant results and no processing expenses.
      Last edited by Grumpy John; 27-08-2019, 04:17 PM.
      My Gear

Comment

Thanks for that John. What did you use to get the EXIF data?
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Info from DPP 4, edited to show only relevant information.
          I added the word varied as the data showed a value for each shot.
      Working...
      X