Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by millicat View Post
    Barry, do you have OCD ? ... seems like you need to be busy doing something to prevent you from going potty ... ie the observatory and now the iron man suit lol.

It looks like it's coming along nicely, maybe ready for xmas and some fancy dress parties .. or better still Supanova or Comic-con. Melbourne in July this year and Perth and Adelaide in 2014. You would be awesome for Cosplay.

http://www.ozcomiccon.com/cosplay.aspx
    I might have OCD.... depends what it is. .

I have every intention of using the suit for charities, kids hospitals, McHappy day etc... not too sure about ComicCon etc. I see a lot of weird stuff surrounding cosplay. I'm doing it with good deeds in mind for the future.
    Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

I think your ideas are much better. Kids will love you and def make them smile.
      Yes Cosplay can be a bit weird. Fans tend to full on with their worshipping of a character. Awesome to see though as some I saw at Supanova 2yrs ago were so in character and convincing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
      Anna
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
      My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

This will be the best costume ever for a Fancy Dress party...
        Adrian

Gear List

Comment

Got the left arm assembled and started work on the gauntlets.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

The wee hours of the night when everyone else goes to bed is my time. My time to relax and be nerdy. I got the left hand fully assembled tonight and this morning. The good camera is out in the observatory and it's too darned cold to go out and get it, so a phone-camera shot it is.....

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Do you ever sleep? Should be awesome when it's finished and will certainly impress the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
                Do you ever sleep? Should be awesome when it's finished and will certainly impress the kids.
                Sleep seems like such a waste of life....

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Time for some creative photography.

I set-up the work so far in my studio and prepared the lighting, height, distance etc. I then donned what I could and played with the result in Photoshop to bring in some colour that I'm not yet ready to paint on.

It's good to just get a little bit of an idea of where I am headed with the suit. It's also good to see it all together so I can check proportions etc.

1. Setting up studio lighting.

2. All the bits taped together in position.

3. Fun with Photoshop!
                  Last edited by Barry; 28-05-2013, 12:10 AM.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

That looks pretty awesome Barry... did you feel like a superhero or Hugh Jackman cos you look a bit like him there.

My friend knits and crochets bonnets etc and has a fb page with her friend and this came up on my newsfeed today .. hopefully it can be viewed LINK
                    Anna
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                    My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
                      That looks pretty awesome Barry... did you feel like a superhero or Hugh Jackman cos you look a bit like him there.

My friend knits and crochets bonnets etc and has a fb page with her friend and this came up on my newsfeed today .. hopefully it can be viewed LINK
                      That is just all kinds of AWESOME Anna!

Baz.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Really Awesome Barry I love it
                        All Experts at anything were once beginners

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkie View Post
                          Really Awesome Barry I love it
                          Aww, thanks Nikkie.

Baz.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Got busy building the cod-piece.

Front

Back

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Something I should have done in the very beginning -

MAKE A TAPE DUMMY!

Fitting, modifying and adjusting the suit needs to be done accurately and doing it on my own body is darned near impossible.

With a tape dummy to my exact proportions, I can build and modify the whole suit on it and have it all fit together exactly, being sure that it will fit me when done.

I watched some U-tube tutorials by a guy called STEALTH on how to make this.

First a supporting frame has to be made out of PVC pipe. Then it's just a matter of putting on some thin clothes that you don't mind cutting up, tape up the sleeves, ankles and waist then get an assistant to wrap you up like a mummy in PVC Duct tape.

I couldn't believe how good it made my back feel... I might have to tape up my back every day before a start swinging the chainsaw at work!

Once covered from ankle to neck, then it's a matter of the assistant cutting the silver suit off - just enough to wriggle out of it, which can be slow and tedious, but taking your time is key.

Next insert the skeleton support and start to tape up the cuts, leaving the torso open until last. Stuff the whole suit with newspaper, rags, sheets, foam or whatever you have and pack it right out. The tape won't stretch beyond how it was while you were wearing it, so your form is retained.

I've run out of tape (used three rolls of 30 metres) so I'll have to pick up another roll tomorrow and stuff the suit as soon as possible.

This is going down as one of the top few weirdest things I've done.....

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Tape dummy complete with some of the armour mounted on it.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Working...
                                X