Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one hip-pod I finished pepping tonight.

Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Left thigh work in progress.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Left thigh assembled. This one was a little more difficult than I expected. For such a large piece it is made of an incredible amount of small parts. Very fiddly cutting and folding on this one.

This is the first part I've made that came with braces to go inside it for shaping. This way I can harden it then cut the braces out and it will retain the correct shape.

I tried it on my leg and it fits perfectly, even allowing for thick and loose tracksuit pants, later to be replaced by bicycle long-johns and the padding inside the armour.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

I just laid the cod on the floor with the thigh under it and hip-pod attached to check for scale. Looks ok so far.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Amazing. When you have finished, can you make one in size 96S?
            "Each of us has their own calling"

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey054 View Post
              Amazing. When you have finished, can you make one in size 96S?
              When I have finished mine in a couple of years, I'll think about it and you can think about a price between $149999 and $150000.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Now that whole tape thing is a bit kinky .. bet your wife enjoyed doing that .. I assume she did it, what wife wouldn't !!! and put it on facebook to show her friends "look what I did to my husband cos he was a naughty naughty boy".

I know I'm not the only on who thinks you are sooooo very talented and creative. Mythbusters need you !! lol.
                Anna
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
                  Now that whole tape thing is a bit kinky .. bet your wife enjoyed doing that .. I assume she did it, what wife wouldn't !!! and put it on facebook to show her friends "look what I did to my husband cos he was a naughty naughty boy".

I know I'm not the only on who thinks you are sooooo very talented and creative. Mythbusters need you !! lol.
                  Hmmm.... hard to respond to that without infringing on some sort of marital confidentiality.... :P

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Shin assembled.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Checking for fit. By the time I get the inside fibreglassed and padded, then the undersuit - there won't be much room left in there. Should be a snug fit.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

I spent a few hours immersed in toxic organic fumes today in the shed, while sleet and snow outside kept the resin temperatures low.

I painted the inside and outside of thigh and shin with resin, then bit at a time - poured in the slush-cast.

One thing I would do in future, is tape the knee joint together before doing anything. I was lucky that the slush-cast was still a bit pliable so I could bend and squeeze the knee together then tape them in place while it sets properly. Before I line the inside with fibreglass matt, I will do the same again.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Now the inside is slush-cast and the knee is taped tight into position, today I started laying in the fibreglass mat. Thigh and ankle flaps done.

I also found a broken headlight and thought the reflector inside would be great in the chest behind the arc-reactor LED's. I'll trim it to shape and see how it looks.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Originally posted by Riddick
                            What a great project you are doing here.
                            Well over my head but it is great to watch this grow.
                            One smart cookie.
                            Ta mate. I've always been of the opinion that art is 10% talent, 90% patience.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Lucky you got out of the army, you wouldn't have had time to do this.

It's coming along nicely. Once it is completed and ready to be worn in public, I had better look out for you on the news! I am sure you will get some limelight from it.
                              Anna
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                              My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
                                Lucky you got out of the army, you wouldn't have had time to do this.

It's coming along nicely. Once it is completed and ready to be worn in public, I had better look out for you on the news! I am sure you will get some limelight from it.
                                If I was still in the Army, perhaps I would be building this out of aircraft-grade aluminium for defense?

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Working...
                                X